The Secretariat’s functions are:
- to monitor implementation of the Energy Charter Treaty and Protocol‘s obligations;
- to organise and administer meetings of the Conference and its subsidiary bodies;
- to provide analytical support and advice to the Conference and its subsidiary bodies on all aspects of the Energy Charter process;
- to represent the Energy Charter Conference in the development of its relations with non-member states and other relevant international organisations and institutions;
- to support negotiations on new instruments mandated by the Conference.